Sunday 5 August 2012

Science Fiction Wedding Outfit Part 3 - Do Not Touch The Soldering Iron

See Part 1 and Part 2

I did that on my second prac as a TAS teacher. I swore. Loudly. In front of the children. But today I managed to keep my hands clear.

After the man who served me at Jaycar turned out to know nothing about electronics, I had to consult the internet, but I found some good simple info and was able to work out my battery and resistor requirements. Glad I taught some electronics this year and felt confident about soldering and circuits again. It had been a while before that! I was still very nervous when the time came to test it!


Moving on to adding the rest of the detail to the flowers. I used some beady flower-centre things that I discovered I owned, and also individual bits of ostrich feather (vanes? barbs? I looked up parts of feathers but was still confused). The ostrich bits I was hoping would move in a creepy way and look alien and unusual by themselves. They do wave about eerily when the hat moves or a slight breeze blows, so that's good.


I did encounter some issues though. The circuitry underneath, and particularly the batteries, changed how it sat and the weighting, making the band not strong enough to hold it. So after good advice from my mother, I followed the obvious solution - put the batteries somewhere else. In the end they went in a necklace - didn't get photos of that as it was all a bit rushed towards the end, but maybe Rhiannon will have some from the wedding to post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment