Wednesday 19 September 2012

Beneath a burgundy sky

Our blog name (and future shop name) was decided many years ago, inspired by a song of the same name by The Band.

The lyrics begin:
"Jupiter Hollow, Northern lights,
Cast a glow through the window late last night
I went to follow through the sycamores
When I found myself in a place I'd never been before.

There was a unicorn and dragon queen
Beneath a burgundy sky
I saw a soldier sing a love song
He had the distance in his eye"

I was trying to draw said unicorn and dragon queen to feature in our etsy shop banner and I wasn't at all happy with my results, so I decided to make them instead. Since I've been making hobby horse ornaments, I stuck with the theme. Here they are:



The eyes are jet beads (broken, in the case of the dragon queen) that belonged to my great-grandmother, for an extra-meaningful touch to the icons of our venture.

And in case you are interested, here is the song:

No comments:

Post a Comment