Sunday 30 September 2012

Making a Trapezium Puppet

You can check out my Teaching Blog for the "Why" of this project, and here I'll stick to the how and showing off the results.

Firstly, for some inspiration from the highest expert, watch Jim Henson talk about designing simple puppets. I also checked out the galleries at Project Puppet and the work of Australian puppet-maker PuppetOODle for ideas about the look, particularly the eyes. This HowStuffWorks article was also great although I haven't used much of that information in this project.

Here is my trapezium puppet in all his glory:


The good:
  • Making the trapezium shape in 3D was very easy. I cut two of my trapezium shape and a long thin rectangle to go all around the outside between the two trapeziums. Thanks to looking up how exactly to clip corners he has a good crisp shape that I'm happy with.
  • The eyes are slightly-squished table-tennis balls painted and with glued-on felt eyelids and I'm pretty happy with those, and the button I found for his nose.
The bad:
  • I struggled from the start with the idea of adapting a sock-style puppet to something with a flat face. I think in future it might actually be better to give the shapes a more 3D, face-like face, if that makes any sense.
  • I sort of sewed a sock-like structure for the hand onto the back of the mouth, and it left me with lips, which I wasn't planning on or keen on. It works ok but was a pain and is quite unfinished.
  • I was getting more and more unhappy with him as I went so his face is hot-glue-gunned on and you can tell!

I'm pretty unhappy with him really but if I remind myself that he is a first go, a kind of test of the idea then I feel better. And the kids liked him, so I guess that's what matters.

Mr. Monk doesn't seem to mind him either, but Mr. Trapezium looks a little shocked at this strange creature sleeping next to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment