Saturday 3 November 2012

Soft Toy Design - Polar Bear versions 1 and 2

Inspired to experiment with soft toy design (a bit of a childhood dream), I started with getting a bit of practise and experience by sewing up some from patterns, including the Hedgehog and Puppy, and the Zombie Bear. My only recent attempt to make my own was the compost creature, who was a bit of an easy project in the sense that it was supposed to look like a pile of rubbish!


No offense intended, compost creature.

So for the next chapter, we start at school. I've been teaching Year 7 technology this year as well as maths. For the first 3 terms I taught the projects I was given, an electronic skills tester and wind chimes, but for term 4 I felt like getting out of the workshop, doing some textiles, and incorporating a teensy bit more design into the project. Since I wanted to explore soft toy design, I decided we'd explore together.

I've decided on a polar bear because we'll be providing the kids with plain calico, and I wanted to show them something in a white/cream colour to show that you can do a lot with calico.

After much sketching, here's my basic "2D" polar bear pattern shape:


I wanted to develop the pattern from simple to more complex to show the different options to the students.


Ok so I didn't clip my curves and corners, but it's a good start. I'm happy with the overall shape I drew, but I think maybe the legs and head could be fatter. But I want to add an underbody gusset anyway so I'll see how it looks once that is in. I'm following the lesson on Elements of Soft Toy Design on WhileSheNaps for this, if you want to get more detail on what I'm doing.


She says that it's a process, and designs usually need some adjusting. Glad to hear it! Mine sure does.


Apart from failing to sew on my lines properly (always a problem), I'd adjust a few things. I think my underbody gusset comes up too high for his little legs, especially at the back. I also think the foot shape needs to be rounded out a bit, as does the face.


His legs at the front have turned out well. Next step, a head gusset to round out that cute little face!

2 comments:

  1. You did a terrific job! I love your polar bear. A great head gusset will really make this a sophisticated design. Good for you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I have the next iteration of the pattern drawn up and waiting to be tested, but I have drifted off to other things. I must get back to the bear soon! I'll read all about head gussets in your book and give it a try.

      Delete