Saturday 16 March 2013

Decorating Styrofoam Heads: Decoupage

Looking through some old photos I'd saved of inspirational hats, I was reminded of my plans to decorate the boring styrofoam heads.

I've found some good inspiration on the faithful internet, although not as much as I hoped for. Check out this awesome high school art project though:



I've also seen some great painted heads, and I plan to give that a try too.

Firstly, though, I tried decoupage. I don't think I've actually done decoupage before, but I watched my mum do some and I read up quickly online. This blog gave some good advice about foam heads in particular.

So first I used some coloured paper from my card-making supplies and quotes from an old "Bitch"-themed calendar.


Not bad for a first go. But a bit too much mixed dark and light that looks especially harsh because the paper was cut rather than ripped.


The face was definitely tricky to cover smoothly, but cutting the pieces smaller worked to make it more manageable.


I couldn't count how many times I almost threw out all those quotes. Happy to have found 25% of them a home.

Time for a round 2 to fix the problems of round 1. Ripping, and better matching of tone. Tone? I dunno. Maybe tone.

My card-making paper draw is full of old maps. Perfect.


Much better. Even makes the creepy faceless foam head look ok. The maps were very easy to work with too. Little bits of France, Ohio, Springwood, South East Australia and Brussels.


I'm tempted to do another map head. I like it that much. And have heaps of map left. Actually more than heaps. I could probably decoupage a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment