Wednesday 3 April 2013

Buttons, Buttons, Buttons

I've mentioned before that I have a lot of buttons.

 
The Ritz tin has been their home since before they were my buttons. I'm not sure whether Mum got the tin full of buttons at a jumble sale, or if she already had the tin and just got lots of buttons at the jumble sale, but I'm sure a jumble sale was involved in gaining this volume of buttons.

Everytime I need buttons I pour out the contents of this tin into a plastic bowl, or a series of bowls, to sort and search for what I need.

 
Meanwhile, in the kitchen, I've been saving these jars that came with herbs in them. I've been keeping them with a vague hope that I will make jam. It hasn't happened yet.

Separating the buttons from the Ritz tin feels like breaking a tradition, but I decided it was time. Time to sort the buttons and store them that way! I also like the idea of storing things in ways that make them visible. Not only is it easier to find them, but seeing them constantly reminds me they are there.

 
Sorting an ancient collection of unmatched buttons by colour is a difficult task. Is this more blue or grey? Closer to cream or brown? What about pink and blue together? When will I use a button that is pink and blue together?

 
I also had a few things that are not buttons. And only one button too big to fit into the jars. Poor sad button.

 
All up, I'm pleased with the result. And it was fun to look through all the buttons. There are some crazy ones, especially in the metal jar. Time to get back to finding ways to use them.

4 comments:

  1. So what are you doing with the Ritz tin? *Sob* It truly is the end of an era

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of other supplies that need homes! And that won't take as much sorting through in that giant tin.

      Delete
    2. Or you can have it if you want :)

      Delete
  2. The buttons came in a bag from the jumble sale. Ritz biscuits came in the tin originally. Mum

    ReplyDelete