Monday 1 April 2013

Black and White Mini Tricorne

I had a couple of buckram frames for mini-tricornes sitting around from ages ago, so I thought I'd better make some progress on them. I was going to say I hate unfinished projects, but the evidnce suggests that I don't!

So it's a buckram and millinery wire foundation covered with a black wool (I think) fabric on the crown and the top of the brim, and a gathered creamy white silk (I think) for the underside of the brim. This is the problem with working from random fabrics in your stash!

Look how beautifully wind swept it is! The perfect gentle breeze came for my photoshoot. And modelled on my lovely decoupaged foam head.


Trims are a gathered velvet ribbon in dark green, and two crazy buckly things that were in fact earrings! Good lord. And an ostrich plume and a little rooster feather.

I'm planning to stop using feathers but I have a supply to finish up first. (Although the rooster feather came from my grandmother's rooster anyway)


This black fabric has made many an item for me, and I love the way it sits and the way it hides stitches, but it sure picks up fluff and cat hair! You can probably see what I mean in that photo.


Fun times. I like the bit of military feel that the colours and the world's ugliest earrings give it. Completing a long-ignored item feels good!

2 comments:

  1. This would make an awesome pirate hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a bit of a weakness for pirate hats! There is another one on the way! But it's not quite as piratey as this.

      Delete